How Climate Change fuels conflict worldwide
Climate change has not only displaced people(involuntary migration) away from their homes and undermined livelihoods but has also reinforced resource competition ending in exacerbated conflicts worldwide. Climate change has now been reffered to as a "Threat Multiplier" as its effects has the potential to promote global insecurity and instability. Listen to this five-part series by The Compass(BBC) which investigates how climate change is a catalyst for conflict across the globe.
Climate Wars: Darfur - The first climate change war
Climate Wars: Water Conflicts - How climate change is the reason behind increased tension between the two nuclear armed countries- India and Pakistan
Climate Wars: The New Cold War - Rising temperatures in the Artic at twice the global average hightens tension between global superpowers USA, Russia and China each laying claim to newfound riches of unlimited mineral resources and new trade routes
Climate Wars: The Sahel - How climate change in Sahel region in Africa lead to mass migration of population, voilent clashes and the rise of extremist organizations
Climate Wars: Central and Northern America - The impact climate change is having on human security in Central and Northern America
In this report by Centre for Climate and Security titled Epicenters of Climate and Security: The New Geostrategic Landscape of the Anthropocene climate experts discuss climate risks to international security and its effect on the geostrategic landscape in this century.
The risks associated with climate-related disasters do not represent a scenario of some distant future. They are already a reality for millions of people around the globe and they are not going away
(Rosemary DiCarlo, UN Under-Secretary-General for Political and Peacebuilding Affairs)
Read the press release of 24July2020 which is a brief by Miroslav Jenča, Assistant Secretary-General for Europe, Central Asia and the Americas to the UN Security Council on behalf of the United Nations Department of Political and Peacebuilding Affairs about how "Climate Change is a danger to global security and peace".
A video by Climate Change Lobby- How will climate change affect our national security and what should we be doing about it NOW?
A presentation by Katharine Hayhoe at the Fall Meeting of the American Geophysical Union in Dec'20
Climate Change: A Threat Multiplier - World Govt. Summit 2018
- Climate change raises conflict concerns
- Can Climate Change Lead to Armed Conflict?
- Fifth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change(IPCC)
- IPCC Timeline - A view of the IPCC History
- Sixth Assessment Report of the IPCC
- Wishing Away Climate Change as a Threat to National Security
- US Military Planning for the Climate Century
- Climate Change and Arctic Security – Five Key Questions Impacting the Future of Arctic Governance
- The Burden - A film which examines how America’s dependence on fossil fuels poses serious immediate and long-term national security threats – and how the US military is adopting a lead role in the transition to clean, renewable energy.
- A BBC report on the US Intelligence assessment that climate change will lead to growing international tensions (2021-10-21).